9/26/07

Skinny Dippin'

Once - Trailer

Posted Apr 19, 2007

A modern day musical set on the streets of Dublin. It tells the story of a busker and an immigrant during an eventful week as they write, rehearse and record songs that reveal their unique love story.

Every morning when I send my kiddos off to school, I feel it's my Stay-At-Home-Motherly duties to fill that time with productive activities that will directly benefit my whole family. I may rationalize that a 25 mile bike ride benefits my family by making me a healthier, stronger, more energetic person that is happier and more willing to accommodate quirky requests and bad attitudes, tired or wired children, and any number of critters flinging themselves across my living room in order to haunt me, but still, it benefits my family. Not to mention the obvious, laundry, volunteering in various capacities, maintenance of the family abode.

But to go to a movie, during the day, child-free seemed so decadent. Such a splurge. So much freedom. So naughty. As one friend put it, 'it's like skinny-dipping'. But whatever it is, I went today and I'm oh so glad I did.Touching. Real. Organic. Authentic. Bittersweet. F@#king Brilliant. All describe Once. Beautiful music. Deep, thoughtful, emotionally honest characters. I loved this movie and the music that went with it. The characters are never named, but they don't need to be. They are you, they are me, they are anybody. I won't go into the plot or anything, but if you haven't seen it, either find it at a theater near you or be sure to rent it. Buy the soundtrack. But I guarantee the soundtrack will mean more to you if you've seen the movie. I hope there is more skinny-dippin' in my future and I really hope that it can be as rewarding as today.

3 comments:

KT said...

And how 'bout that great, red bag slung over her shoulder?? Lovely ...

Bubble Girl said...

I thought the SAME thing! I NEEEEED one.

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced! This sound like a movie right down my alley. Unfortunately, I can't find it in any theater in this part of the world. I'll have to run it down somewhere else.