7/21/07

Olden days

The little Bubble people figured out for the first time late this week that we no longer have tv. Before we left for our little holiday Bubble Boy took both cable boxes and returned them with Inexpressible Joy to Time Warner. I'm confident we are now the owners of the most expensive tv with no tv signal on our street. I'm not ashamed to say that I am technologically challenged, as you may have picked up on in the previous post, so I am very proud that I've finally outsmarted all the black and shiny silver boxes in our entertainment center and been able to create moving pictures AND sound through the DVD player, despite their ongoing conspiracy against me. Big E's first question upon me telling her that her loving father had decided we didn't watch enough tv to justify the $100+ bill and thought we'd try it without for a while, was "HOW COULD HE DO THIS TO US?!?", as she collapsed into a heap. She said this in much the same tone she informed me that spending time in the kids room (see how I carefully didn't call it the DAY CARE) at the gym was "ABSOLUTE TORTURE!". She has a wonderful flair for the dramatic. I'm sure it will serve her well.

The biggest obstacle I'm experiencing is the sudden urge to watch all these things on tv I would never have contemplated previously. For example, when reading this I feel dispirited that I won't be able to see it for myself. It's true that we just didn't watch much tv. I've seen one episode of American Idol (please don't tell anyone), 2 of Dancing with the Stars. I dropped Grey's Anatomy after one season because I couldn't watch Ellen Pompeo waste away before my eyes and my weekly tv commitment had grown to 4 hours between The Daily Show, The Office and 24. A few years ago BB and I had a brief and intense few weeks with Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and now that option is gone for me and I feel a sense of loss.

7 comments:

KT said...

Wowza!

Anonymous said...

Dang, RayRay! You're livin la vida Amish! I have never seen 24, ER, Grey's Anatomy, or ANY reality TV show except season 1 of Big Brother some 6 years ago. Until I was 32, I never saw Gone With The Wind. I hate miniseries, the Olympics and almost all TV series since Frasier ended. However, I cannot live without HGTV, The Discovery Channel, TLC, both PBS stations or The History Channel. Uh huh; even the Amish people would whisper "wow, that lady is a NERD!" among themselves.

P.S. Hope you're having fun with Sister A. Guess what?! It's raining here. Quelle surprise.

Anonymous said...

I just want to clarify that the person to whom the Amish would refer as a "nerd" is me, not RayRay. Now if you'll excuse me, I must finish watching Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet.

Suzanne said...

Bubble Girl:

Can u watch Design Star episodes online? Is that allowed?

Bubble Girl said...

Watching via broadband is fine, however I find it to be so much EFFORT. Bottom line is I'm Lazy. I want to plop down and point a plastic wand at a box and have other worlds unfold before my blank, staring eyes. Since I don't watch THAT MUCH tv I want to truly wallow in the couch potato experience. I'm sure I will ultimately learn to download the show and maybe even transfer it to the Apple TV box so I can watch it on the real tv, in much the same fashion monkeys can be taught to work a microwave.

Jamie said...

I've been trying to talk Craig into quitting Cable FOR EVER now. He's not budging. I'm in awe that you guys actually did it.

Emma's reaction is priceless! (to both the cable cancellation AND to the gym's kids' club)

Suz said...

We've lived without TV for almost 4 years. The only time we watch the screen is if we get a video at the library or rent one. Retta has no idea that you can watch shows otherwise. And I'm starting to forget about that too ... you won't miss it at all after a while.