3/20/08

Holy Camping!

Even though it's been a long time since anyone could describe me as Religious I am busy fending off some deep seated guilt about spending our Easter weekend camping. I'm sure this is a remnant of years of sitting in a Southern Baptist church which can bury guilt far down deep in your soul where the Devil lays around eating chips and salsa and makes you eat all those cookies even though you KNOW you shouldn't or convinces you that braiding your hair and putting on that mascara was a good idea and now you've gone and put bad thoughts into the heads of males with your tempting self so you must REPENT! or risk the fiery depths of Hell!!!

Hell be damned, we're camping anyway and I'm sure it's going to be a bang up good time. Beautiful weather has been ordered and appears to have even rolled in a day early. This will be our first Electricity-Free camping trip, so we'll be officially Roughing It according to "Bubble Girl's State Park Survival Guide For All Camping Wusses" which includes handy crockpot recipes and how to get the perfect mani/pedi while living off the land. I breathed an audible sigh of relief when I remembered we could always hook into the car's Juice of Life when it comes time to inflate the kids' air mattress or if we really needed to plug in my portable heater which follows me everywhere. Yes. Everywhere.

The kids are all atwitter with the prospect of spending two and a half days straight with their friends eating marshmallows and chocolate and busily grinding filth and dirt into their hair, ears and feet. If they don't come back looking like Oliver Twist it just wasn't a good time. It will be great to get out in the beautiful weather, do some geo-caching and just get away from the b!tch of a week I've had here.

BTW, today was Bubble Boy's last day of "work". He wore a robe and slippers to work. I'm not kidding. I'm sure I'll be seeing MUCH more of that particular ensemble. Happy Retirement! No. Not really. What I really mean to say is that I'm completely FREAKING OUT and wondering what the Evil Someone did with the real me when the words "Of course I'll support your decision to leave" were escaping from my mouth. Because now, the real me is BACK and feeling a wee bit panicky. Really, I'm sure it will all be great. It really will. Deep breaths.

2 comments:

Suz said...

Bring a warm hat and gloves. I'm pretty sure there will be a man around to poke the fire constantly. And you can borrow my down jacket. AND, I think the low is in the 60s ... Girl, you can do this.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how your camping went. It takes practice.