2/13/08

How long has it been?

You know it's been a looong time since your rode your bike when you can't remember how to get your shoes off. I don't think I've been on my bike since I rode into New Braunfels completing my first 100K bike ride in November. That's not really THAT long ago, but apparently it was long enough to forget how to operate the complex ratcheting system that attaches my shoe to my foot.

This is not my actual shoe, but it's very similar. Mine are pretty blue and red. Very patriotic. And obviously not in high demand as they were on clearance for 50% off, so they were a STEAL. They look great with my blue Hard Core sunglasses. And really. Isn't that what it's all about?
Funny how I was so nervous about trying clip shoes for the first time and my concerns were always focused on trying to get the shoe out of the pedal...NOT my foot out of the freakin' shoe. That would seem like a no-brainer, huh? But there we were, CCC and I, in the locker room following our first spin class in a few months (since we've been training for our half-half marathon), trying everything we could think of to get the darn shoes off but only making them tighter and tighter. That's a real confidence builder, let me tell you. Luckily, CCC happened upon the correct sequence of pushing and pulling and the lock popped right open. It's really easy once you know what you're doing. Really.

So anytime you're feeling like you just don't have a solid grasp on what's going on in your life, take comfort in knowing that at least you can extract your feet from your shoes at will. It's more than some people have.

No comments: